Some Questions You May Have
- How much does a trip cost and what is included?
- What airport should I fly into?
- I'm flying… How should I schedule my arrival and departure times?
- How do I get to the Smiling Moose Lodge from the Bozeman/Belgrade Airport?
- How do I get to the Smiling Moose Lodge from Idaho/W. Yellowstone Park?
- This is my first time fly fishing; what should I bring?
- What should I include on my packing list?
- I have all my own fly fishing gear, what should I bring?
- Where can I get my waders, boots and fishing licenses?
- What if I have specific dietary needs i.e. gluten free etc.?
- Can I bring my son?
Mail your check payable to:
The Wild Adventure
12340 Seal Beach Blvd., Suite B #414, Seal Beach, CA 90740
For credit card payments call 855-600-WILD and talk to reservations.
NOTE: Anything can happen and so we recommend purchasing trip insurance. It can be purchased through a company like Travel Guard, AAA or even some home owner policies.
Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport
850 Gallatin Field Rd, Suite 6 Belgrade, MT 59714
Phone: (406) 388-8321
On occasion guests may need to arrive the night before. If this is the case there are a number of hotels that offer complimentary shuttles to and from the airport. Please keep in mind that the gates to the Smiling Moose Lodge will not be opened until 3:00 pm on the 1st day of your trip (Tuesday).
Arrive by 1pm MST and the Smiling Moose Ranch shuttle will pick you and other guests up at Bozeman Airport.
Directions from Bozeman Airport
1. Get on Hwy 287 headed north.
2. The Grizzly Bar & Grill will be on your left.
3. Continue 7.5 miles past the Grizzly Bar & Grill.
4. At the bottom of a hill, take a right on the gravel road called South Palisades Road. Immediately after a right turn, you will see a driveway entrance sign for (The River House). If you do not see that sign, you turned in on the wrong gravel road.
5. Drive on South Palisades Road 0.02 miles taking the first left to the bridge to Smiling Moose Lodge. Cross the river slowly and with caution on the old wood bridge.
6. On the dirt road, at the fork, keep to the left and follow the dirt road up the canyon 1.2 miles. Keep to the left at the fork in the road and go through our open ranch entry gate. Continue up the hill 1 additional mile to the Smiling Moose Lodge.
7. If you have questions, call 406-682-4998.
These are the items that are nice to have for your fishing trip. Guides usually bring spare fishing gear (i.e. spare rods and flies)
- • Polarized Sunglasses to help with glare and to see the fish through the water
- • Some category of fleece: a vest, over shirt, jacket. The weather changes often in Montana and if it gets cold fleece helps
- • A rain jacket that is waterproof and helps if breathable
- • A long sleeved fishing shirt or over shirt to protect from the sun
- • A hat to protect from the glare and sun. Can be a ball cap or any type with a front bill or rim.
- • Sunscreen
For those of you who have never done this before most everything on the list can be substituted for by something you probably already own and modified for your specific needs. Rod and reels are available if you do not have one. Waders you can rent for $75. We will help you register for a 2 X 2 day fishing license as well.
Personal Clothing & Toiletry Items
- Polartec tops or sweat shirts for warmth.
- 1 – pair of sweat pants for lounging
- 2 – pair of blue jeans
- 2 – button up or long sleeve shirts
- 1 – warm coat to put on top (sometimes the evenings can get cold)
- ? – underwear (again wicking capabilities preferable)
- ? – t-shirts, pair of shorts
- 1 – pair of shoes or sandals to use while lounging
- 1 – toothbrush
- 1 – toothpaste
Other Essential Items
- Any personal medication
The following list is exhaustive and covers everything you would need for your fly fishing trip. This list is for the guy who has everything. For those of you who have never done this before most everything on the list can be substituted with something you probably already own and modified for your specific needs. Please keep in mind the Smiling Moose Lodge can provide extra fly rods & reels. All waders, boots and belts can be rented through Beartooth Fly Fishing your first day of fishing.
- Rods provided by guides but you can bring your own, if you wish - 9ft: 6 weight or 9ft: 5 weight
- 1 – fishing vest
- 1 – Gortex chest waders with stocking feet
- 1 – wading belt
- 1 – felt or rubberized sole wading boots
- 3 – pair of long underwear for use with waders (with wicking capabilities preferable)
- 3 – tops (I use long sleeve wicking tops)
- 3 – t-shirts
- 4 – pair of socks (with wicking capabilities preferable). I usually bring 8 pair. 4 of medium weight and 4 liners or very light weight (all with wicking capabilities)
- Terminal tackle – bring your favorite standard flies and leader material in an assortment of weights, although our guides should have both flies and leader material available.
- 1 – rain proof jacket with hood (Gortex type is preferable)
- 2 – hats with keepers (just in case you lose one)
- 2 – polarized sun glasses with cords attached (in case you lose one)
- 2 – nippers/forceps (in case you lose one) Strike Indicators Sunscreen
Both your equipment and your license will be ready for you on your first day of fishing (Wednesday). As part of your week we will alert Beartooth to your exact license and gear needs.